wind vane

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
davidb
Top poster

wind vane

Unread post by davidb »

-

Our Cabled Davies VP weather station wind vane has just started giving false readings, the anemometer is fine, but the direction is always north, but if you watch closely, the "needle" flicks to the correct direction every few seconds.

I got this reply from another forum:
-
This is almost certainly a connection problem. In particular, an open circuit somewhere along the "green wire" or the "yellow wire" in the cable to the anemometer assembly. Of course, that could be inside the assembly - and with low probability it could be a bad potentiometer in the assembly. Highly unlikely to be electrical interference.

The highest probability is that the wind has blown the cable around enough that one of the wires has finally broken (I say that because, for a while, you were noticing the needle flicker).

If you have someone who can do electrical tests, here's what could be measured:

With the cable disconnected:
Between red and green, a resistance varying between 0 and 20K ohms as the wind direction changes.
Between red and yellow, a constant resistance of 20K ohms.

At the socket where the cable is attached - between yellow and red should be a steady voltage (yellow positive).

Those measurements will at least diagnose the problem.

Monday 5th

I think it was interference after all, we traced it to the snug by pulling breakers and I think it was the monitor above the noticeboard.

I have disconnected it till next weekend to see if that was the problem.

David
-
-
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"