Club equipment.

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
slippers
Top poster

Club equipment.

Unread post by slippers »

Fail to understand why use of club equipment is not allowed, while use of the club house and galley might be put on hold to promote social distancing, the use of toilet /shower facilities are still open in workplaces, also shared use of vehicles and equipment is allowed as it is impractical for workers to have exclusive rights, all that is required is to give guidance on sanitising, if you don't like the risk don't use it. The issue is with us for a long time and requires a usable long term solution. Now!
Kainoa

Re: Club equipment.

Unread post by Kainoa »

Couldn't agree more
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

After digesting all the info I tend to agree, it is up to yourself to understand the risks and act accordingly, a bit like sailing.
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
jack sparrow
Top poster

Unread post by jack sparrow »

Yes stay safe, use your common sense, now where have I heard that🤔.
But it's early yet things will change in a few days when they get there heads round things. (Hopefully)🤞
Mick
Roger
Top poster

Unread post by Roger »

Slippers (Dave),
Thanks for the encouragement to get moving on relaxing access to GSC and it's facilities and equipment. We don't really need it !

The Committee will take a considerate, common sense and conservative approach to returning to whatever new reality awaits us whilst adhering to the government's direction.

The obvious difference between workplaces and the club is that people are paid to sanitise work areas and machinery, mark out 2m lines and all the rest of the actions being carried out. The club's activities are 'non essential', unpaid and our over-riding aim is to minimise risk of infection to all members of the club by removing, as far as possible, items and areas used collectively, assuming people can manage the 2m distance reg themselves!

For the moment, the club site is open for members to visit on a daily basis, with the restrictions described. As and when the government's direction changes, for example because the number of Covid-19 carriers is known and controllable, or overnight stays away from main homes are permitted, then we'll revisit. The committee will review it's position at least on a monthly basis and more often if there is new news.

If any club member wants to lead a 'Covid-19' working group to define, document, control, communicate and review the increased risks facing the club at this time then please step forward.

I recognise the desire to get sailing. I'm with Mick in believing that we must make a judgement ourselves about the risks relevant to us and our own capabilities. The problem is then if your actions increase the risk of infection to others. We, as a Committee, and hopefully as a Club, cannot condone that.

Regards and 'stay safe'.

Roger

nb Club regatta in August !
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Everywhere I go I assume someone's been there before me, so I don't touch or if I have to then I wipe the area and wash my hands asap after.
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
Serendipity

Unread post by Serendipity »

Serendipity
I agree with Mick. We should all be responsible for our own safety. The over 70’s were told to stay at home, but construction workers were told to carry on working through the lockdown. Plumbers and Electrician have been going in and out of people’s houses to repair their boilers. Estate Agents can show people round houses. If we take the necessary precautions I don’t see why we should not be allowed to use the club facilities.
Regards
Andrew
slippers
Top poster

Unread post by slippers »

Most workplaces I know have not employed an army of cleaners, some sites have resorted to checking temperature of people entering because of the difficulty of sterilising every tool or piece of equipment, as a driver it is my responsibility to ensure the cab is clean, as even sterile it is contaminated the moment a customer hands over cash, there is not an army of cleaners in shops cleaning every item that may have been handled, it is unreasonable to expect this, the onus is on you to treat everything as contaminated, not to expect it to be sterilised for you, as a club with few members who visit regularly the risk must be very low indeed and while those who are retired can wait things out those of us working and have holidays booked are waiting for the go ahead from government do not want the club putting further obstacles in the way, regards frustrated.