Social Evening - Sat 13th February

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
valsimpkin
Top poster

Unread post by valsimpkin »

Kicking off 2016 with a 'knowledge sharing' night kindly arranged by David Booth. I don't understand a word of it but, then again, that's not too surprising!

David says:

I have talked myself into doing a short presentation on the projector to explain how I deal with waypoints, routes and tracks and invite others to do the same. Apart from the original GPS's ( which I still use) there are all sorts of apps out there, some free, some paid for, and that's without including expensive dedicated chart plotters.
Anyone got a good system they would like to demonstrate?

I have set up a closed-circuit camera on my laptop so that you can demonstrate your own small device via the big screen and we should hopefully get an overview of various systems from people who know their way round them.

Maybe you can bring and demonstrate a plotter? I shall bring a 12v supply with USB and 12v connections. Please bring any interconnecting leads that fit your device.

The programme I use for working with waypoints, routes etc is " GPSU "
I could demonstrate how to transfer the routes and tracks from a GPS into the computer and share them with others.

I have been using Navionics on a tablet for passage planning, I can show how to export data from that to the computer as well.

A good outcome of the evening would be if someone could please send me their most up to date route to Piel and the location of the club mooring buoys as a KMZ file, then we can get it up on the screen and share it with anyone that wants it during the evening.

If you can help, please let me know via email or PM

David Booth
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

The evenings entertainment? seems to be coming together at last. Will try to get going at 20:00 next Saturday, but I should be there a lot sooner, getting stuff together.

The camera worked reasonably, I tried it last weekend, so you can bring your small device to demonstrate.

Pete sent me the Piel Moorings positions, and you can now find them on this new web page on the Member's area:

http://www.glassonsailing.co.uk/MEMBERS_AREA/nav.html

I hope that the chartlet on the page will be up to date soon and to this end, I would appreciate an up to date route in digital form to Piel if possible, please. I have got the Lune Buoy positions off the forum, thanks to John Bacon. ( yes he is still around in spirit )

cheers, David
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
dr.syn
Top poster

Re: Social Evening - Sat 13th February

Unread post by dr.syn »

Route to Piel? I don't think there is a fixed one, if you're like me and take 7.5hrs you just use the sounder and keep turning left when it gets below 1m or if you're like Norman, just go straight from Sunderland Point
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

Fairy Nuff Mick, but I once touched fairly hard on Mort Bank, we were up a dead end gully at about half tide. We managed to get off with the engine and back track and do a bit of what you do. But not a happy feeling when we had all sail up, going well, and virtually out of sight of land in any direction.
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

Weird feeling, especially when it's getting dark, you suddenly stop moving but you are in the middle of the sea.
hinasmoon
Top poster

Unread post by hinasmoon »

George,Mick n Dave....

Not necessarily out at sea or even in the dark.......... :oops:

Oh, the memories came flooding back, perhaps the wrong terminology....

John
' what you forgot is still there, it's just a matter of remembering where it is! '
slippers
Top poster

Unread post by slippers »

George,i think you should see a psychiatrist, if he cures you,get a price for a block booking. :lol:
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

The last one I saw was taken gently away by nice men in white coats.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Another interesting night, I'm sure we all learnt something and if we get lost now it won't be anyone's fault but our own. Thanks for putting it together Dave. XX
Well it is St Valentines day
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

Its a pleasure, Mick. I learned a lot as well - I'll do a proper reply shortly.

Chorley John's route and track that he Bluetoothed to my tablet converted and downloaded fine for me on the PC and has all his annotations on when viewed in GEarth or GPSU .

cheers, D
slippers
Top poster

Unread post by slippers »

sorry i missed it, not feeling well at all,thought of a cold night on top of it failed to tempt me :cry: .
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

I think this is the App that John demonstrated, MX Mariner: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mx.mariner
From what we saw of it, it looked very fit for purpose, and If I didn't already have Navionics, I would be giving it a try.

We did a quick survey on Saturday night among the 20 or so sailors present as to which nav system they actually relied on when at sea ( ie not just for passage planning) and the results were:

Hand held GPS: 5

Mounted Chart Plotter: 5

Tablet computer: 4

Mounted GPS: 3

Smartphone : 1

From what I saw, the size of your tablet is a huge factor if buying one with navigation in mind, and smartphones can only be taken seriously as a back-up system ( you probably need to wear your reading glasses for most of its functions)