Live Aboard Uk

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
jstoppy
Top poster

Live Aboard Uk

Unread post by jstoppy »

We are now heading to retirement in 8yrs time and time to start the planning. Our plan is to sail hound Dog as much as we can, then sell Hound Dog in the meantime, sell up at retirement and then buy another yacht around 38ft plus to live on it for a 5 years plus. Obviously who knows what's around the corner and you have to dream to realise a goal.

Slippers as given us some recommendations on boats which as helped.

The question is, having no home what are the realities of live aboard in the UK. No fixed address. We have started to build budgets needed.
Current thinking first year using a Scotish west coast marina to build our sailing and passage skills with a good base, as we are limited currently. Then start to sail to foreign shores.

Look forward to the replies.
"Live life with as little regret as possible, so Go For It!"
davidb
Top poster

Re: Live Aboard Uk

Unread post by davidb »

Hi John, Thats a big subject, I have just had a fiddle with Bard, google's AI system and all the below has come form there. Talk about stating the bleeding obvious! cheers, David

---------------------------------------

Living aboard a boat in the UK can be a great way to live a more affordable and sustainable lifestyle. However, it is important to be aware of the realities of this lifestyle before you make the decision to move aboard.

One of the biggest challenges of living aboard is finding a place to moor your boat. Moorings can be expensive, and they can be difficult to find, especially in popular areas. If you are planning to live aboard full-time, you will need to find a permanent mooring. If you are only planning to live aboard part-time, you may be able to find a temporary mooring.

Another challenge of living aboard is dealing with the weather. The UK can be a wet and windy country, and you will need to make sure that your boat is properly equipped to handle the elements. You will also need to be prepared for the occasional power outage or other emergency.

Despite the challenges, living aboard can be a rewarding experience. You will have the freedom to travel and explore the UK at your own pace. You will also have the opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people.

If you are considering living aboard, I recommend that you do your research and make sure that you are prepared for the challenges. With a little planning, you can make living aboard a success.

Here are some additional tips for living aboard in the UK:

Get a good insurance policy for your boat.
Make sure that your boat is properly maintained.
Learn how to sail and navigate.
Be prepared for the weather.
Have a plan for dealing with emergencies.
Be social and meet new people.
Enjoy the freedom of living aboard!
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
jstoppy
Top poster

Unread post by jstoppy »

Thanks for Looking David. Some of it is obvious like you say. There are lots of dream videos on you tube too, but most in a foreign land. What I am after is the realities . Like having no home address as such. Do marinas allow life aboard. Car you park up a motor home up while cruising the sail boat. Hoping there is experience within GSC and hope others can input too.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Check this bloke out, his house got burnt down so he decided to build a boat and sailed it all round Scotland, living off the land and anchoring where nobody would bother him. If you can get hold of the first book (phoenix from the ashes) it explains it all. A really riveting read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Justin-Ruthven ... scns_share
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
jstoppy
Top poster

Unread post by jstoppy »

Thanks for read.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Haven't seen it yet but the title looks relevant
https://youtu.be/XbKeSj156e8
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse