Tempted ?

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
Roger
Top poster

Tempted ?

Unread post by Roger »

Morecambe Coastguard and lifeboat crews issue warning after call to assist paddle boarder in bay
Morecambe's volunteer Coastguard and lifeboat crews have issued a warning after the were called out to assist a paddle boarder in Morecambe Bay.

The rescue took place on Saturday.

The alarm was raised on Saturday, and both Coastguard and Morecambe lifeboat crews were sent to the scene, after being told of a person in possible distress on the paddle board and with the tide flowing quickly out of the bay.

The paddle boarder managed to paddle themselves back to shore and was spoken to by the Coastguard team and given advice about the lockdown policy.

When returning from the call the team also stopped a couple of young people who were kayaking along the shore.

Crews advised them of not only the fast flowing tide but also the current lockdown rules and recommendations.

A Coastguard spokesman said: "Although water users may be social distancing please remember the risks and dangers caused to all the volunteers (and their families) that were called out to assist.

Remember if in danger on or around our coastline call 999 and ask for the coastguard.

Deputy Launch Authority Justin Mawtus from Morecambe RNLI, who authorised the launch of the lifeboat crew, added: “A great response from our crew who remain resilient throughout the lockdown to assist when called to service.

"Please could those who even consider going out on the bay remember the lockdown policy and refrain from doing so at this time.”
Chriss
Top poster

Re: Tempted ?

Unread post by Chriss »

The government has clarified the position on watersports.
In England, you can now:

spend time outdoors, including exercise, alone, with your household, or with one person who is not in your household as long as you stay two metres apart
exercise more than once a day

take part in other outdoor sports and activities, including fishing - on your own, with your household, or with one other person while adhering to social distancing rules
drive to outdoor open spaces, including beaches and beauty spots, irrespective of distance - you should travel in a private vehicle, alone or with members of your own household

go swimming in either lakes or the sea as part of daily exercise provided that social distancing guidelines are observed - you cannot use public indoor and outdoor pools

all forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed - you can continue to use towpaths for walking, running and cycling, being mindful of other users and people living in boats along the water
chris
Janine Stewart

Unread post by Janine Stewart »

Yes, but you have to be back home to sleep in your own house at night. Not many options for day sailing at Glasson.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Problem is, the public see something and phone 999. Which in one way is good but in a lot of cases it ends up as a "call with good intent" . Like all emergency services they can't ignore a call so have to attend.
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

Dinghy sailing would be possible. Or kayaking if you're that way inclined.
chris
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

This just might revive dinghy sailing, where you can launch easily
Kainoa

Unread post by Kainoa »

That's great and access to the merlo would enable other already designated drivers to launch other boats that may only wish to day sail.ie out on an early tide back on the late tide,or at least enable boats to get to moorings. Let,s not bother Boris this is a club decision is it not.I mean the sailing section of the club
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

yes but............
There will be no patrol boat because Access to the clubhouse and all club equipment is denied until we have an answer to sterilising equipment and policing its use, especially the telehandlers. We are keeping a close eye on the developing situation and will have another meeting as soon as anything changes.
cheers, David
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
Kainoa

Unread post by Kainoa »

Thanks for listening David but when did anyone man the the patrol boat. We don't even switch on the radio in the clubhouse no wonder newcomers don't venture out. We are in danger of losing credibility as a sailing club. It is too easy to say no. Many of you long time members reminisce of past fun days boating. We need a committee and it's nice to have a bar but let's not forget the boats.
Roger
Top poster

Unread post by Roger »

Kainoa,
Can you identify yourself please. You sound like just the sort of chap to head the club's Corvid-19 Working Group to lead us out of the Club's current Considerate and Conservative approach to keeping all GSC Club members safe and free of sickness.

If you want to read around the subject and get a view of the RYA's thinking on this very topic then please have a read of the links from David B's email of 13 May.
The RYA guidelines are being regularly updated.

Regards

Roger Pearce
Commodore GSC
Kainoa

Unread post by Kainoa »

Yes Roger Dave Andrews . Like many others going about our day to day tasks we can wear gloves, carry sanitisers, and wipe down surfaces as we go. The clubhouse is out of bounds but access to outboards and use of the merlo would allow us to work on our boats. We're using the keypad to access site and the garage door is much the same. We are responsible for ourselves and anyone at greater risk needn't be there that's their I respect their choice
Serendipity

Unread post by Serendipity »

I see no reason why we should not be allowed to use the club facilities if we take the necessary precautions. We should assume everything belonging to the club is infected and wear the necessary personnel protective equipment. The over 70’s were told to stay at home, but electricians and plumbers have been going in and out of people’s houses, to repair boilers etc., throughout the lockdown and construction workers have been working throughout the lockdown. Now estate agents can show people round houses. Primary school children are going back to school. Everyone on the club should be made responsible for their own safety. The virus is not going to go away and we pay a lot of money to have use of the facilities.
Janine Stewart

Unread post by Janine Stewart »

Golf Clubs are now allowing access to essential toilet facilities whilst maintaining safe distancing. Clubhouses are of course still closed.
Serendipity

Unread post by Serendipity »

Serendipity
Approximately 1.35 million people die each year from road traffic accidents which puts the Covid virous into perspective. We all live with a certain amount of risk.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

My take on it is that the club are not protecting members by shutting en bloc, the one's that think it's risky wouldn't come anyway. The only way the club can protect its members is to go to their houses and padlock their doors.
The main problem at the moment, because we can't stay overnight, is the telehandlers and lifting. My solution is :-
Members that feel they can manage the risk could attend when no-one else is there. Have a "working week"
Pick a week when a few lifters are available and consider the risk manageable. Members could come over, use all facilities observing SD (and they'd be daft not to) , clean up after themselves, then on the Sunday the club is locked again The club is shut for a week to kill off any chance of the virus. Then the cleaner can go in normally knowing it's safe. This could be repeated if and when required.
I don't see that "deep cleaning" can benifit, the virus apparently dies after a week unless in a fridge which is not to be used and a freezer which we ain't got now.
In the depths of winter the club is hardly used so it's no different leaving it unattended.
Roger
Top poster

Unread post by Roger »

Mick,
That's a proposal worth discussing. Can you send it to the Committee members so that we can do so tonight.

The club is still awaiting a 'Covid-19' team leader who will also address and document all the points raised by the RYA Club Guidance Document.

Regards

Roger