Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
dr.syn
Top poster

Whitehaven to Iceland

Unread post by dr.syn »

Do you know this lad Jim?
It could be an "Andrew Bedwell"
From a Facebook page

I'm setting off again to raise money for Halsall St Cuthberts school by sailing solo from Whitehaven around Iceland and back *.

I am planning on setting off May/June, and expecting 3 weeks at sea with challenging accommodation: no real toilet, cooking or washing facilities (a bucket, Jetboil, wet wipes, and sea water).

Its a passage length of well over 2,300 miles across the North Atlantic, with sleep in only 20 min bursts if conditions allow, and all in a very small boat (6.5mtrs). I will have almost no communication, other than the ability to send 3 pre sail written texts (1 - Along the lines of All's fine, 2, - Keep and eye out or 3 - SOS !).

The school will be tracking me as i will have a tracker on board, so that the children will be able to see my progress throughout the day, they will also be made aware of the speed, weather conditions I will be experiencing, and posting on the 'arb offshore sailing' facebook page.

Prior to setting off I will be doing a special assembly at the school showing the children what I will experience and what I have to do, and then afterwards doing another assembly with photos, video etc.

* The Icelandic coastguard will be advising prior to leaving about the conditions of weather, ice, and whale movements in the Denmark strait and if not favourable, I will be forced to sail to Rekjavik and back.
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
Jim Cruise
Top poster

Re: Whitehaven to Iceland

Unread post by Jim Cruise »

No I don't know him Mick but it's a big marina, Good luck to him anyway. Sooner him than me.
Duncan
Top poster

Re: Whitehaven to Iceland

Unread post by Duncan »

Gulp!!!