advice wanted about navigation apps for android 4.4.2

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
chorleyjohn
Top poster

advice wanted about navigation apps for android 4.4.2

Unread post by chorleyjohn »

I have acquired a Lenovo Yoga tablet 2 (10.1") using android 4.4.2 and would like to use it for navigation. It as GPS connection so can anyone recommend any good apps. ?
Roger
Top poster

Re: advice wanted about navigation apps for android 4.4.2

Unread post by Roger »

Hi John,
I've recently got a Samsung tablet and have bought the 'Navionics' HD App for about £40. It was a great comfort crossing the Bay ...!

I'm not an expert and slowly working out it's functionality. Slippers and Big John also use it.

Regards

Roger
kerrygirl
Top poster

Unread post by kerrygirl »

What's wrong with the good old quadrant (or even a new fangled sextant)? :roll: :lol:
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

I can't fault even the basic UK and Holland Navionics for only £25.

free chart updates forever, I think.

The tides and currents info is wonderful when you have found them.

fantastic value, don't hesitate to buy it.

David

"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
RogerS

Unread post by RogerS »

If you like Admiralty charts, 800 charts (all UK waters) available from www.visitmyharbour.com for £7.99 (for charts updated to 2015, and another £7.99 next year I guess) . Software to run the charts is the Marine Navigator App, available from Google PlayStore, for £5.41 at start of this year.

The Visitmyharbour website gives free Tides and sailing directions, as well as the charts themselves, but these are only of use on the web, and cannot be transferred to Android. Still, 800 charts for a total of £13.40?

A more expensive way to get the same charts is from Memory-Map (www.memory-map.co.uk) but for £50 (I think), you get the same charts which you can install on 2 PCs and 3 Android or Apple tablets.

RogerS
(Chat Eau Neuf)
"Chat Eau Neuf" 9m Catalac
Duncan
Top poster

Unread post by Duncan »

I have that set up on my nexus 7 Roger and you are right it is very good. In fact the charts are better than the navionics gold on my standard horizon plotter and they cost £172!
chorleyjohn
Top poster

Unread post by chorleyjohn »

Many thanks for all your suggestions.I had a few problems trying to load some of the programs before setting off to the IOM so I met up with Big John in IOM and he showed me MX Mariner which is basic but seems OK so I downloaded it with chart for Irish sea for approx £10 it was good sailing ( motoring ) back with it but unfortunately I did not manage to save the track we came on so need to play more with it.

many thanks to all.