GSC Regatta Cruisers Races

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
Serendipity

GSC Regatta Cruisers Races

Unread post by Serendipity »

Dear Members,

Re: - Glasson SC Regatta Cruisers Race round the light house 21st and 22nd August 2021

For the cruisers entering the dock on Friday 20th August, Justin has agreed to have the lock gate open for us in the morning and the evening. The lock gate should open at around one hour before high water and close at high water. If you have not already done so, please let me know by Monday 16th of August at the latest if you intend staying in the dock overnight on the Friday and Saturday so that I can let the port authority know the number of boats going in.

Anyone entering the dock must wear a high visibility jacket whilst on the dock grounds.

The starting time for the races will be dependent on the lock gate opening. We are hoping the lock gate will open a little earlier at around 10.14 on the Saturday and 11.01 on the Sunday. The lock keeper is going to try to open the gate a little earlier and if possible close a little later than normal. The gate normally closes at high water.

The start and finish line for the race is opposite the OD Box. There are two diamond shapes above the OD Box which marks the transit line. We will be using VHF channel 77 to announce the start time followed by a blast on a fog horn from the patrol boat to start the race.

We are using the lateral buoys to mark the race course i.e. keep the red buoys to starboard and green buoys to port going to the light house and the red buoys to port with green to starboard coming back to the OD Box. We should all go round the lighthouse in a clockwise direction keeping it to starboard.

All maritime rules of the road are to be observed such as port tack gives way to starboard tack, and vessel to windward gives way to sailing vessel on the same tack.

Please can members entering the race text me their name, the name of their boat and the make and model of boat they are using for the race so that their handicap can be worked out.

The races are intended as a bit of fun and I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

Regards,
Andrew Calvert
Rear Commodore Cruising
Serendipity

Re: GSC Regatta Cruisers Races

Unread post by Serendipity »

We are hoping to start the cruiser race at 10.15 bu it may be delayed. Listen in on channel 77. The race will start with on blast on the dog horn.