Cruising

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
Jim Cruise
Top poster

Cruising

Unread post by Jim Cruise »

Wandering round the boat park on Sunday after the (excellent) visit to Index Marine, I was struck by how many capable-looking cruising yachts we have nowadays. I know the days of the classic family cruises are long gone but maybe some sort of informal cruise in company could be managed?
Roger
Top poster

Re: Cruising

Unread post by Roger »

Hi Jim,
Very much so ! The more the merrier and a club cruise helps drag the more cautious club members out to new destinations. I should have some more free time from mid year, so apart from a trip round Ireland on Ocean Phoenix starting 27 June (all boats welcome !) I'll be available to join in.

But Easter shake down first....... if the virus doesn't lock the country down before then. It's all a bit gloomy at the moment.

Regards... and don't forget to wash your hands !

Roger
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

Surely floating round on the sea in a small boat is a good form of isolation? It is keeping out of the pub at the other end that will be difficult!
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
jack sparrow
Top poster

Unread post by jack sparrow »

Well good luck with your sailing this year, I doubt that there will be any 😭. Four country's now have strict
instructions to anyone seen outside other than walking a dog, getting medical goods or basic food, you might think well we will be at sea yellow flag needed, but you won't be for long. The virus is set to peak in 12 to 20 weeks July but that's peak not stop.

So get Mick bull to send you lots of links to YouTube sailing because sitting indoors (self isolation) is the only way to get your enjoyment.
Maybe the government will pay are boat park fees as we couldn't enjoy are hobbies.
SUICIDAL
MICK
jack sparrow
Top poster

Ps
This is a up to the minute site good to watch

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And Andrew will be pleased to know the TT is off😫 but perhaps not because so his is holiday 😷

Doom and Gloom
Mick
pj
Top poster

Unread post by pj »

jack sparrow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:04 am Well good luck with your sailing this year, I doubt that there will be any 😭. Four country's now have strict
instructions to anyone seen outside other than walking a dog, getting medical goods or basic food, you might think well we will be at sea yellow flag needed, but you won't be for long. The virus is set to peak in 12 to 20 weeks July but that's peak not stop.

So get Mick bull to send you lots of links to YouTube sailing because sitting indoors (self isolation) is the only way to get your enjoyment.
Maybe the government will pay are boat park fees as we couldn't enjoy are hobbies.
SUICIDAL
MICK
Just be glad that you haven't antifouled your boat yet! you haven't have you ? :lol:
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

First piece of news I've seen that actually mentions people recovering. Most parts of the media would, it appears, rather depress us with tales of people getting sick and dying.
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Gonna get a dog then, and walk it to Glasson.
I'm lucky though as people often mistake me for a Young Brad Pitt so I won't get stopped at road blocks 🤣
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Anyway, looking at the latest NM's most of the river buoys are missing so you won't get far
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi update

NCI stations close due to Coronavirus concerns
March 18, 2020
Watches suspended until further notice.
The National Coastguard Institute (NCI) has announced the difficult decision to close all of its 56 NCI stations from midnight tonight (Wednesday) until further notice.

Isle of Man
Anyone arriving has to spend 14 days in isolation not even allowed of to the up.

Think we should put updates on here rather than get there and not be allowed in😷

Mick
Armchair sailor.
jack sparrow
Top poster

Bit more

https://www.noonsite.com/news/novel-cor ... worldwide/
For them that can't open the web address.

News Intro
Most countries have now implemented stricter controls at ports of entry for visiting yachts in reaction to COVID-19 Coronavirus and more and more are either closing their borders or enforcing a 14 day quarantine on arrival.
Follow the links in this report to stay updated on restrictions on your cruising route, so that you can plan accordingly. Call into the marina or port well before your entry to confirm any new changes or restrictions. The situation is changing rapidly.

Last Update - March 19, 2020
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Anyone know if Sunderland point is affected?
Roger
Top poster

Unread post by Roger »

Mick,
You're a jem!
Roll on the Easter shakedown.
Regards
Roger
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi
After the latest government announcements.
Does this mean the club will be closed from tonight?
Will it be ok to work on our boats if we don't go into the club?
Hoping to go up Monday before we get lockdown.
Please advise.
Mick
Roger
Top poster

Unread post by Roger »

Hi Mick,
The club and boat park will not be 'off limits'. Just maintain 'social isolation' by staying at least 2m from others and watch the personal hygiene. Be wary of the 'touch points'. Don't congregate.

I guess we'll follow the diktat that the bar will close from tonight.

Until government rules change, which may be just a matter of time, and the diktat moves to house arrest for the general population !

Best of luck

Roger
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi Roger
Thanks for that.
I hope no one is up on Monday, but I do believe the government has got a lot of backing in how they are handling the situation in order not to cause to discontent (dictat) you only have to look at other country's to know what is coming.
Thanks
Mick
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

You're right Mick, scary or what?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1584810722776.jpg
FB_IMG_1584810722776.jpg (73.35 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi Mick

We will probably be on lock down by the end of the week, they are introducing stipulations slowly so not to insight riots.

And a bit of news for them that think they will sail up Scotland or maybe Wales :roll:

Rural communities on the Scottish West Coast are now asking visitors NOT to visit, Tiree and Mull being just two examples,
They are very concerned that the local medical services could be overwhelmed.

(and I believe some Welsh communities have also requested something similar)

Armchair sailor
Mick
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi update

Went up to the boat on Monday it was quiet but the last time I will be allowed to go because of lockdown, took all the food off for home.

Anyway pwllheli marina is closed as is the hard standing, as are a lot on the south coast

But lockdown says it all.
Armchair Sailor :roll:
Mick
Ps no electricity in meters on park thanks John :cry:
Jim Cruise
Top poster

Unread post by Jim Cruise »

"maybe some sort of informal cruise in company could be managed?"

maybe next year then.
chrisb
Top poster

Unread post by chrisb »

Yes Mick.... I too have emptied the boat and the caravan, and now have enough long-life food and tins to last till about Christmas. Just need some fresh stuff.

Our Caz went shopping today for us oldies who are on Lockdown, and the "three of everything" at Sainsbury's mean 3 items of veg full stop. Not a bit of broccoli, some carrots, a bag of potatoes, some leeks and a cabbage for example!
jack sparrow
Top poster

Hi chris

Had no problem with fresh veg at lidl, broccoli been on offer since Thursday so we have had are fill.😂
The problem has been at Asda only allowed 3 bottles of wine.😫
In reply to jims article cruise next year sounds good but with the figures coming out of Spain and Italy there might be a few not able to go including myself as I am in the 8% age group.
It's been nearly 3 days now and I can't stop looking at my watch time as stood still😭
Armchair sailor
Mick