Bon-voyage Kesbo

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
Serendipity

Bon-voyage Kesbo

Unread post by Serendipity »

A challenging trip taking Kesbo to Liverpool to be with its new owner.
Duncan and I launched on Sunday thanks to Dave Holmes driving the Merlo.
The trip to Piel was challenging enough with high waves near Halfway Shoals. We picked up a mooring opposite the Ship Inn at Piel. That night we were kept awake by strong southwesterly winds.
The weather forecast showed the wind dying down slightly for when we wanted to set off and being WSW.
At five o’clock in the morning we slipped the anchor in the dark heading down the channel. At Halfway Shoals we altered course for the mouth of the river Mersey. The strong winds during the night meant the waves were quite high but we were making over seven knots over ground. Unfortunately the auto tiller did not work which meant we could not leave the helm and it was hard work keeping a straight course. As we approached the Training Wall at the mouth of the Mersey we had to head directly into the wind and our speed dropped to about 3.6 knots.
As we went down the River Mersey, towards Liverpool, a Greenpeace Ship over took us.
878BAC2A-94A8-4A62-9C17-0C42BB931202.jpeg
Had a good view of the Royal Liver Building.
19A74A21-8049-4F51-A3BB-B407DDA68330.jpeg
We arrived at Brunswick Dock at about 1410 just before high water.
41E8338A-C0F8-4A39-8AD3-E1E5BCD06BF0.jpeg
Duncan
Top poster

Re: Bon-voyage Kesbo

Unread post by Duncan »

Great stuff Andrew! Getting to Piel was bad enough but the 9hrs to Liverpool in those conditions is not something I am in a hurry to repeat. Memo to self: At 5 a.m in Walney channel with wind over an ebb and lashing rain a red light to starboard doesn't necessarily mean you are heading in the right direction. Thankyou Andrew and your I Phone
Duncan
Top poster

Unread post by Duncan »

Rainbow Warrior v Kesbro!
Attachments
P1100287.JPG
P1100282.JPG
P1100289.JPG
P1100290.JPG
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

Am I right in thinking that you met "Greenpeace" in the Crosby Channel? If so, where were the pictures taken from, may I ask?
Duncan
Top poster

Unread post by Duncan »

Hi George, these pictures were taken from Hightown near Blundlesands sailing club