Pictures on this Forum

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
davidb
Top poster

Pictures on this Forum

Unread post by davidb »

nearly all photos these days seem to be taken with phones ( for obvious reasons) and the quality is generally excellent, but that comes at a cost, and that is the large file size they create when they come out because most people want the best quality possible. My phones are set at 8Mb and 6Mb which are average to old phones.

The size of the picture below is 640 x 480. which is very small by today's standards at 80Kb but still gives plenty of detail for most purposes

regatta640.jpg
regatta640.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
This picture on our website blog is 1024 x 768 pixels:

This comes out at at 162Kb (double the top one) and still gives ample definition for viewing even on the biggest computer screen, so when you think that a smartphone picture can be much bigger than that, you have the reason why forum picture sizes are limited because we pay for the web space they take up, and they are kept on there indefinately.
to be continued......I'll describe a simple way of reducing smatphone pictures without downloading yet another app........
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
davidb
Top poster

Re: Pictures on this Forum

Unread post by davidb »

I took a screenshot on my Motorola by long pressing with 3 fingers at once with only the part of the picture i wanted showing on screen.
On my old Samsung I pressed the volume down and the power buttons simultaniously:

'
(to be continued.........)
Last edited by davidb on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

Where what are set David and where is this?
chris
davidb
Top poster

Unread post by davidb »

I've deleted that confusing screen shot, I was just showing the phbb control panel where our images are now set to a maximum size of 1200 x 900 pixels which is ample for most purposes,

cheers, David
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Don't forget us old codgers are behind the times with Pixels, 8mb, resolution etc, I'll have to get my thesaurus out I use for understanding the committee meeting minutes 🤣🤣
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

I think you mean a dictionary, a thesaurus would only add confusion to bewilderment. And when you get your dictionary the first word to look up is "pedantry" :-)
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

😉🤣🤣
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse