Regatta

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
Chriss
Top poster

Regatta

Unread post by Chriss »

Hello everyone
You may have heard that I have been volunteered to co-ordinate this year's regatta. There will be dinghy, dayboat and cruiser races on Sat Aug 25th and Sun Aug 26th. It will be quite an early start this year.
HW Sat is 11.37 (8.56m). Dinghy/dayboat start 10.07. Cruisers 10.37
HW Sun is 12.10 (8.77m). Dinghy/dayboat start 10.40. Cruisers 11.10

The MBSA has donated some money for prizes for dinghy racing so I hope you dinghy sailors turn up.

The dinghy and dayboat races will start approximately 90min before high water and the cruiser races about an hour before high water. The course for all races will be round the lighthouse although this will open to discussion on the day.

So far, food will be on a jacobs join/do it yourself basis probably involving a barbeque, although this may change , suggestions are welcome.

Norman is negotiating with the dock regarding opening times.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Call or text Chris 07723811847
chris
hinasmoon
Top poster

Re: Regatta

Unread post by hinasmoon »

Hi Chris, I will check out the Autostart if it is required.

John
' what you forgot is still there, it's just a matter of remembering where it is! '
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

Thanks John, that would be great.

Chris
chris
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

It has been pointed out to me that the cruiser start time may be ten or fifteen minutes later than the time I gave in a previous post. This is to allow time for anyone in the dock to get out and put their sails up etc.
chris
SteveS
Top poster

Unread post by SteveS »

At last years regatta I just used a seperate stopwatch for anyone coming out of the dock and started them when they crossed the start line. I think it was only The Other Woman last year.
jack sparrow
Top poster

Unread post by jack sparrow »

Hi Chris

Don't think any boats will be allowed out of the marina for the regatta as they still have not repaired the lock its like a caldron, and the laugh is they try to stop it with a blue tarp weighted down.

Has to the dock being used you would be better talking to Justin as the dock is silted up so on the tides of the 25th and 26th 8.7m you might get in if you draw 1.2m but again consult Justin.

I had to go into Fleetwood for four nights as the would only open the lock on Friday 10th when it was 9.2m Saturday and Sunday it was higher but they would not do any lockouts or in. you can't even go out for a sail over night to piel waste of money being in the marina no wonder they want to sell it to a property company.

Gripe over
Mick
The Other Woman
kerrygirl
Top poster

Unread post by kerrygirl »

Hi Mick, Sounds like things are going from bad to worse in there. Hope you had a good cruise in the Clyde. Brian
valsimpkin
Top poster

Unread post by valsimpkin »

Don't forget we have entertainment on the Saturday night - everyone should have had an email with details but just a reminder:

We have a fabulous trio with literally decades of entertaining experience behind them, who have performed on some pretty prestigious stages – including the Royal Albert Hall!
Long established folk duo, Gary & Vera Aspey are teaming up with one of the famous Oldham Tinkers, Dave Howard, for the night, to bring us a fabulous evening of songs and humour, stories and anecdotes, with something to suit everyone
Gary & Vera hail from Leigh and Lancashire songs and humour are at the heart of the songs they sing. They became professional musicians in 1974 and have been entertaining audiences around the world ever since! Stalwarts of the festival and folk club scene, they are as busy now as ever and have been described as ‘folk royalty’ and ‘living legends’ by their peers!
They are joined by Dave Howard - another Lancastrian by birth. Dave has been a key member of Lancashire supergroup, The Oldham Tinkers, for many years, as well as performing with his partner, and with numerous other groups.
With this line up, I reckon we can expect an evening of first class entertainment – happy songs, sad songs; songs from the playground and the pub; serious and downright daft songs and anything else they can think of on the night! If the musicians amongst the Club bring instruments too, I forsee even more potential for great things.
So hopefully a fabulous day sailing will be rounded off by a great night of music and then more sailing the next day!

They’ll be kicking off around 8.30pm – Hope to see you all there!!
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

Hi, just a late request. Please can anyone in possession of a club trophy please bring it with them if they are attending the Regatta. Also a reminder that it will be a Jacobs join/ feed ourselves arrangement. A barbecue will be available for our use.

Chris.
chris
ivanocean
Top poster

Unread post by ivanocean »

Hi all, great seeing you guys at the Regatta, will endeavour to be joining you again soon.

Ivan
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

We had a great day on Saturday, thanks Chris for putting it altogether, and all the other helpers.
8 boats took part, not as many as previous years but the forecast put people off. It was sunny on Saturday with a F4 and gusting a lot more. There was a jacobs join, BBQ, then the folk group in the evening. Another great day. However, the wind and rain came on Sunday so no more events except the "see if the wind can blow Doug's tent away in the early hours event", but Doug got up to ensure it didn't, while Christine and the dog slept soundly.
Roll on next years
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse