Hope the welds are good

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
hinasmoon
Top poster

Hope the welds are good

Unread post by hinasmoon »

Don't worry if you feel your boat flexes a bit, fibreglass/ wood is OK, but...well see for yourself...

https://youtu.be/PmlTk_3NN_g
' what you forgot is still there, it's just a matter of remembering where it is! '
dr.syn
Top poster

Re: Hope the welds are good

Unread post by dr.syn »

Talking about welds. Just bought these, no Job in mind yet but they look handy if it works ( as long as I can get the heat input)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-BRA ... Swd4tTwXpZ
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

Easy Mick, My propane burner melts Zinc at 400+ deg C.
hinasmoon
Top poster

Hi Mick,
I have used those on my sons car. Even though it was vertical we managed OK. I used a gas cartridge gun and found it just produced enough heat, though it was a large bulky piece we were working on.
The hard bit is not to catch it with the flame but once you get the coordination by pulling the heat off and applying the alloy stick It went OK.
I found that a heated up broad bladed screw drive just helped the finish. I would think on an area you can control excellent results can be had.
We used the coolest sticks so not to melt the area we were welding/soldering.
John
' what you forgot is still there, it's just a matter of remembering where it is! '
jack sparrow
Top poster

Unread post by jack sparrow »

Hi Mick
Like John I used these sticks to fill two pin holes on my boat manifold, it's a solid lump of aluminium I had 3 blowlamps on it for nearly an hour but couldn't get it hot enough.
The sticks did melt easy though so would probably work on something lighter.
Good luck
Mick
onewaygeorge
Top poster

Unread post by onewaygeorge »

John
Didn't realise you were old enough to have a son with his own car, perhaps its a pedal car.
Seriously though, does this stuff stick to steel and is it strong enough for an MOT?
hinasmoon
Top poster

Hi George,

You charmer or may be you should have gone to "SpecSavers"....

It was not steel, his alloy sub frame sometime in the past looked like a jack or something had put a scar with a small 1/2" hole.It must have had it since he got the car or a tyre changer had done it while he had it.
Anyway, it failed the MOT, so along came our Dave with these alloy rods, worked great though we used all of them with most lost melting with the torch flame, so there is a learning curve...buy two packs is the answer.
We tried it on two small alloy offcuts and worked a dream, could not snap them apart, just bent the alloy...