an idea for a social evening

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
davidb
Top poster

an idea for a social evening

Unread post by davidb »

Electronic Navigation.

I have used a system for about 12 years now, and it has served me very well, with many updates from time to time. I could do a short presentation on the projector to explain it and invite others to do the same. There are all sorts of apps out there, some free, some paid for, and that's without including expensive dedicated chart plotters.

Any one else got a good system they would like to demonstrate?

David
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
tantrum

Re: an idea for a social evening

Unread post by tantrum »

David
I just use a normal plotter but would very much like to learn how to use my I pad, so I would definitely be there.

Phil
chorleyjohn
Top poster

Unread post by chorleyjohn »

Hi David I like your idea. This year I have been using MX Marina on my tablet and found it very good. I would be interested in seeing what others are using.
Best regards John.
davidb
Top poster

camera

Unread post by davidb »

.The programme I use for working with waypoints, routes etc is GPSU http://www.gpsu.co.uk/thing2do.html. It is not free for a useful version, but once you have paid for a license, you have it for life and he is continually updating it as different gadgets become available. In the past he has actually made a couple of changes to it at my request. I can easily demonstrate this programme on the projector via my laptop and show how it interacts with Garmin HH gps's.

Also I could demonstrate how to feed the routes and tracks into Google earth and some tweaks to modify GE.

I have been using Navionics on a tablet for passage planning, I can show how to export data from that to the computer as well.

We could set up a closed-circuit camera on the laptop so that folk can demonstrate their own small device via the big screen and we should get an overview of various systems from people who know their way round one that has worked for them.

Maybe demonstrate a plotter or two if we set up a 12v supply?

David
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"
valsimpkin
Top poster

Unread post by valsimpkin »

Sounds a great idea - Shall we try and sort out a date next time I see you, David?
chrisb
Top poster

Unread post by chrisb »

Hi val. I was hoping we would get a couple of different systems demonstrated on the night. It won't be much of an evening if it's left to me. Cheers David
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

slightly off subject. I understand there is a Folk/Bluegrass event in Glasson Village Hall on Saturday night 7pm tickets £7 on the door plus £3 if you want food (there is a bar)
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
chrisb
Top poster

Unread post by chrisb »

Do you mean this Saturday
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

Hi Dave, yes 14th
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
davidb
Top poster

GPS Devices

Unread post by davidb »

Unbelievably we still have no phone line and internet at home - the line went down during last Sunday's flash storm and I have had to come to the public library to write this.

The upside of no internet is that I have got lots of jobs done this week and I find myself with time on my hands in the evening - so I have made a start on a presentation and am getting my thoughts together, perhaps we might be ready for February?

I can bring:

a laptop with usb ports and a serial / USB adapter and a connection for the projector.

A samsung galaxy tablet with USB link

A samsung s2 smartphone

an old Garmin Satnav with USB lead

A garmin 48 and a garmin 76 with serial leads

A 12v leisure battery with cig lighter socket and USB charging ports

Hopefully I should be able to transfer waypoints and routes between the above and share them with other people's devices by cable or by email whilst displaying what I am doing on the big screen. - This will need a proper practice session!

Sorry, Phil I have no experience with iPads, apart from how beautifully they work for many things, but if someone who has navigated with one can bring it along, I'm sure we shall find our way round it between us.

cheers, D

valsimpkin
Top poster

Sounds good - it's an ill wind, as they say!
valsimpkin
Top poster

Bumping this up as we've firmed up a date for this evening - Saturday 13th February.

I'm going to leave the detail to David - presume not too early a start? 8 / 8.30???

Over to you David! Maybe we can pin it and edit the title to give date etc?
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

I would have liked to attend this but I'm working.

Chris
chris