Unlit aerial buoy

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
dr.syn
Top poster

Unlit aerial buoy

Unread post by dr.syn »

Beware going to Piel, there is a small black data buoy on the way, hard to spot but a vicious whip aerial if you snag it
53 - 59.334. 3 - 03.919

Anyone pick up Rosslare coastguard on their radio? Funny atmospherics yesterday, I am at the club and picked up conversations between a rescue helicopter and Rosslare coastguard looking for a kite surfer in the rosslare area yet I can't get the club WiFi 50yds away
Attachments
MOV_1612_000038.jpg
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse
chorleyjohn
Top poster

Re: Unlit aerial buoy

Unread post by chorleyjohn »

Don't sail too close to it Ian Atky and I got tied to it by some fishing net that was trailing from the buoy got round our prop RNLI had to cut us free the tide was running fast and we could not get to the stern of our boat as the aerial was acting like a medieval lance and the buoy was crashing into our stern with every wave. The main lifeboat could not hold station near to us and had to send for the rib with 3 men onboard they were handed a long handled cutting bladed weapon from the main lifeboat and they managed to get close and cut us free but they nearly got speared by the aerial it was a close call. Our prop was fouled and the rudder had limited travel so the main lifeboat towed us into Fleetwood marina. Ian and I managed to clear the net from the prop and rudder tested the engine ran OK stayed overnight and sailed back to Glasson next day.
Chriss
Top poster

Unread post by Chriss »

I think this is what you were hearing Mick.
World champion kite surfer Hannah Whiteley, 28, was rescued off Rossall Point after she found herself in difficulty whilst training yesterday afternoon (Saturday, September 19)
kite surfer.jpg
kite surfer.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
chris
dr.syn
Top poster

Unread post by dr.syn »

No, that was earlier Chris, It was definitely Rosslare. There's not many Irish accents in Fleetwood or helicopter pilots with the whooshing of the blades overcoming the Irish pilot.
I spent most of my money on Booze, Women and Boats. The rest I wasted.
We're born naked, wet and hungry - then things get worse