National Whale & Dolphin Watch

Open forum - hide your email address if you are bothered about security
davidb
Top poster

National Whale & Dolphin Watch

Unread post by davidb »

Dear Team at Glasson Sailing Club,

I am writing to you from the Sea Watch Foundation, a national charity based in New Quay, West Wales, working to improve the conservation and protection of whales, dolphins and porpoises in British and Irish waters.

We are beginning the countdown to the start of our annual National Whale & Dolphin Watch, a 9-day event in which we aim to get a general “snapshot” of what is in UK coastal waters. This event will be contributing to a 17-year data set this year and we have observers along the UK coastlines ready to watch the waters for us, but we need as many eyes on the sea as possible!

Details of watches organized across the UK will shortly be uploaded to our website, www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk, so if you would like to be involved in a watch, you can check to see if there are any in your area. If there isn’t anything going on near you, how about setting up your own watch? All you need is one of our observation packs, a nice place to look out over the sea, and your eyes (although binoculars are very helpful). You can do this on land or boat, with as many people as you like, and at any point during our 9-day period.

If you are interested in organising a watch to collect data for us, please let me know so that I can assist you and give you more information. This year’s watches will take place from 27th July - 4th August so we hope the weather will be on our side!

If you want to catch up with last year’s results, please see here: https://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/w ... _FINAL.pdf

We hope to have you, at Glasson Sailing Club, involved in the event this year, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you and best wishes,

Charlotte Andrews

NWDW Assistant

Sea Watch Foundation

+44 (0) 1545 561227
"People who can breathe underwater when knocked unconscious dont need life jackets"